Monday, July 29, 2013


On Purpose and Evolution




The evolution algorithm tells us that if a certain member of group adapts in a certain way that is in any aspect considered better, this member is most likely to teach this knowledge to his/hers offspring. That merges with the idea that knowledge is power and that adaptation is key to survival.

I truly love those concepts, they are very central in how I view life in general, in a way to me that is close to the comprehension of the Divine. It is like our genetics and skills passed to us by our parents plus personal behaviour and how we use the acquired information and skills (natural or not) are this enormous Mastermind that direct the continuation of the human species on Earth. When I was more connected to spiritual thoughts I would call this the perfect mix of destiny (genetics and the environment you are born in, nothing you can do about that) and free will (your ability to decide how to use what was given to you to decide your own path). Ok, so We have established that, that is the core of my belief in how existence happens, but now we go to the difficult part. Why?

Why should we survive? What is the purpose of us being here?

Honestly I believe what is godly like is this immense Mastermind of us all that combines choices, genetics and the way we are brought up. But why?
Let’s say I am “blessed”. I was born in a functioning an wealthy family. I am intelligent, pretty and I made wise decisions while growing up. I decided to study something useful to me, to the world and I made good money by doing so. Ok, I have succeeded and now what? Should I just keep the wheel spinning and procreate so my children will too be very like to succeed in their own lives?  What is the use of it all? Where do we go from here?

Some people believe we are going to die and be born again. Let’s work with that. So I will die and then do all over again and again and again. Why? It does feel like the work of Sisyphus, who during the day would roll up a rock all the way to the top border of a cliff only for the rock to fall again and the same procedure to start next morning. According to the Greek mythology rolling up the rock was a horrible punishment that this person received and it lasted for ever!  So, it is exactly like that, one spends their whole life rolling up the rock and then dies and has to start it all over again. The Buddhists say that after a while you can remove yourself from the Samsara (wheel of life) and go to a higher dimension. What do you do in that higher dimension? Is it a dimension with no death or do you go on being born and dying a few years later,  just like here? Let’s say you are never going to die again, so you are in an eternal state of existence with no movement, no change, no evolution, how boring is that?  And if you keep being born it is just like this dimension the only difference is that you might have a less meaty look, being all ghostly and ephemeral.

Other people think they are going to this perfect and eternal place where they are going to exist forever as the people they were when alive, keeping their identity.  Again, a life with no change, no movement, no evolution, just a steady and happy (?) existence throughout eternity. Does that sound appealing to you? To anyone? Some religions, even say you are going to receive never ending milk, honey and virgins. Ok, I get that those items were very valued in the past and some who could invent a religion today maybe would promise Iphones, delicious and expensive dishes and well accomplished sex workers. Well taste does change but the childishness of promising someone what they feel is most valuable to them does not. Actually, I think that was quite easy to do in the past, nobody ever came back to tell the others there was no milk in Heaven. 

My point being, what is the true purpose? Even for those who believe they are going to this perfect mystical place or for those who believe they will be reincarnated, do any of the choices sound appealing to you? Why should one go on doing that, what is the wanted consequence for a whole life of effort. What are the VERY long term goals in life?

For example, Why are you doing your PHD? To get a better job. Why do you want a better job? To make more money. Why do you want to make more money? To buy things that make me happy and provide for my family. Why do you need those things or why does your family? To know I have a successful life. Why do you want to be successful? To be envied? (so the answer to life would be vanity) to leave something behind? (vanity again) to not have problems when you are old? (so you are looking after yourself).


There is no conclusion, there are reasons but when you achieve the consequence nothing has meaning, nothing really matters. It is like we are all adrift in a sea of meaninglessness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment